On the 10th of November 2020 the Department Employment and Labour promulgated new Asbestos Abatement Regulations, 2020. The new regulations replaced the Asbestos Regulations, 2001 as promulgated under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993. As the name suggests the new Asbestos Abatement Regulations, 2020 have as its main goal the abatement of all Asbestos and Asbestos containing material. As a Department of Employment and Labour Approved and SANAS Accredited Approved Asbestos Inspection Authority (OH 0242-CI 062) The Safety Network (Africa) (Pty) Ltd, t/a SafeNet Africa can assist with the following when it comes to asbestos management, viz.
- Conduct on behalf of employers and property owners legally prescribed Asbestos in place assessment and the drafting of:
- Asbestos Inventories;
- Asbestos Risk Assessments;
- Asbestos Management Plans; and
- Phase out Plans;
- Asbestos training to be provided to Asbestos workers, Asbestos removal supervisors, sub-contractors and employees such as maintenance personnel who perform non-Asbestos related work, but who may during the course of their employment potentially be exposed to any sources of Asbestos;
- Draft Asbestos Plans of Work for the removal of Asbestos and / or Asbestos containing material such as Asbestos cement roof sheeting and related products;
- Submitting the Asbestos Plans of Work to the office of the Department of Employment and Labour in the region where the Asbestos work will be performed;
- Conducting of Asbestos air monitoring prior to, during and after Asbestos work projects;
- Analyses of air monitoring samples as to determine Asbestos fibre concentrations (We have our own asbestos laboratory);
- Bulk sample collection and the analyses of these samples as to identify the presence and types of Asbestos used in the manufacture of the material sampled. Samples to be analyzed by means of Electron-microscopy by associate laboratory; and
- Conduct clearance air monitoring and the drafting of Asbestos Clearance Certificates for areas possible Asbestos contaminated;
All the above-mentioned services will be performed in line with the legal requirements prescribed by the Asbestos Abatement Regulations, 2020, as promulgated under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 85 of 1993. For the removal of Asbestos and Asbestos containing material the standard "HSG 248 Asbestos "The analysts' guide for sampling, analysis and clearance procedures" will be applied.